Entries in wcg (3)

Monday
Oct012012

What Does the iPhone 5 Mean to You?

Check out my podcast interview with my colleagues Stephan Merkens and Patrick Donnelly on the updates to the new iPhone from Apple and what it means to companies and consumers.

Tuesday
Jan042011

Engagement Span

This week, I'm in Austin, TX, at my company's leadership summit. A collection of great minds have come together to share their experience and ideas on where marketing and online communications is headed.

It's a new year, and this social media rage will continue to grow and to change. That seems to be the only constant -- that things in social media are always in flux. That's what makes this so exciting.

Some great nuggets from the talks:

  • Customers only spend 1% of their time in the actual process of the purchasing action. The other 99% of the time is spent learning, assessing, reading reviews, etc. Companies need to concentrate their efforts more on that 99%.
  • Great applicable quote from Wayne Gretzky: "A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."
  • Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams: "You don't have to be a 'person of influence' to be influential. In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me."
  • Imagine if companies used social media research when they developed: New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, Smith & Wesson mountain bikes, McDonald's Arch Deluxe.
  • When you interact, you learn. When you learn, you improve. When you improve, customers appreciate it. When customers appreciate it, they help you learn more.
  • About 92% of Americans get their daily news from multiple sources. (from Pew Research)
  • Message to companies: Don't build a website that people come to; build a website that people come back to.

 

Wednesday
Jun022010

Moving On

For those of you who haven't heard, I've left Lippe Taylor. It's a bitter-sweet departure. I'm certainly going to miss the people. I've made some good friends here ... a few that I'm sure I'll remain friends with for a long time.

Starting today, I am with WCG (aka WeissComm Group), where I'll be Director of Social Media for their New York office. It's an amazing opportunity to work with a forward-thinking communications firm who is making huge strides in the technology and strategy of social media. Perhaps the best part of this new venture is that I'll be working for the inimitable Bob Pearson (yeah, that Bob Pearson). I am so excited to work with a true visionary in this space. Plus, I'll be reunited with some old friends from my days at Porter Novelli.

Starting a new chapter in your life is always a daunting yet exciting thing to do, but I am really looking forward to it, and you'll still hear from me here and on Twitter and on LinkedIn and pretty much anywhere else where you Google "mattsnod."